27.6.04

I do believe, that in order to have peace, the "little people" - the average citizens, like you and me, must confront what is there. We must be willing to see what is happening, before we can ever do anything about it.

I have often wondered what I would have done if I had lived in Germany in 1943. Would I have been willing to stand out and say "No more!" or would I have tried to keep myself and my family safe, and been quiet, and gone along with the government and my neighbors? Would I have even known what was happening in the concentration camps? And would I have been willing to find out if I suspected something was wrong?

I feel I am now being tested - what would I do? Well, what am I doing now?

It is very easy, as an American, to speak. Sure, if we speak out against this war, we are called "unAmerican" or "anti-American" - which I find ridiculous, of course. Being American does not mean supporting the government when it is wrong! Or re-electing a President who violates the Constitution.

To me, one of the greatest things about being American is that we CAN speak out. We CAN tell our government "No more!" - and elect someone else next time.

So -- what I can do is communicate and help inform others about what is going on in places not right in our backyard.

When the government says, "Iraqi's love us" I can say, "look at the blogs of Iraqis! Look and see what they really think!"

This isn't much -- but in order to have peace, we must stop creating war, and I urge others to find out what exactly our leaders are doing to create war. We can get them to stop. We have that power, through our voices and our votes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home