I visited an Amnesty International booth at a festival recently and picked up some cool stickers for their youth program. It was just a cute little sticker, with the Amnesty International logo and website link for the youth sign up.
Well, on the Metro last night, there were 4 teens who were talking, and they seemed bright enough, but were just gossiping about other kids and it was clear from their conversation that they simply aren't challenged in life. They seemed bright - but vacant, really.
I gave them the stickers - they'd never heard of Amnesty International (they must have been 16 - 18), nor had they heard of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. That surprised me as well, really.
I told them a little about both activities - and they did seem interested!
Perhaps no one has even given them the idea that they could do something to make the world a brighter, better place to be. I'm hoping they sign up and next time I bump into them, I'll overhear conversation a little more worth overhearing than gossip about their acquaintances!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home